Sittin' Here Knittin' - Old one

Ramblings about Knitting and other important stuff

Friday, September 24, 2004

Weekend plans

Well, so sad to report, that Bjerk will be no more at the end of this weekend. I plan on frogging her tomorrow while I consume some wine to console me.
Why would I do such a dastardly thing? Frog an entire sweater, less one sleeve?? Especially one I work so long and hard on? I'll tell you why... It doesn't fit. The picture below is my hand in the sleeve. It is as far as I can get my hand into the sleeve as a matter of fact. Great...



I was nearly done with my first sleeve when I notice that I may not have enough yarn to finish the sweater. I got quite down about this, as I didn't think I'd be able to find the yarn I needed in the same dye lot that I was already working with. I was sitting there despondently looking at my uncompleted sleeve when I started thinking about the pattern. The pattern had called for US size 3 and 4 needles. But had also specified 3.5 and 2.5 mm needles. According to my needles (I have heard that they can vary by manufacturer) those mm ranges correlate to a US 4 and 2. I applied my logic and decided to use the 2s as this is a Norwegian pattern and so the mm sizes must be the more logical choice. Hmpf.

Turns out that there were a few additional contributing factors to my sizing dilemma. Gauge for this was 6sts per inch. When I did my gauge swatch I got that. Had I made my plain stockinette on a US 4 needle I would have ended up with the proper gauge and size. Because I went to a 2 I have 7sts per inch. I did use the 4's for the fair isle portion but was knitting so tightly that I was consistent with my 7sts per inch gauge. I am 6 inches too small through the chest area. Not quite minimal enough to block it out (and there is almost no 'give' in the fair isle areas).

*sigh* Well, at least I have the wine...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home