Sittin' Here Knittin' - Old one

Ramblings about Knitting and other important stuff

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Moms Scarf

Mom was nice enough to model her new scarf and send some photos. I think it looks fabulous on her.



This shot shows the stitch definition a little bit better. The colorway is dark though so it is a bit difficult to see.



I had a good question about this pattern yesterday and decided to answer it here rather than privately. I hope that is ok with the questioner.

Question for you... I was reading the comments on that scarf pattern earlier today, and there were some problems posed that didn't have answers to them... Did you do it with the 30 stitches listed, or increase or decrease to make an odd number, like one poster suggested it needed to be? What cast-on and bind-off did you use? Some people were having trouble finding one they thought looked good with it. TIA - Leisel

I used the 30 stitches called for in the pattern. Because of the way the stitch is made it ends up working out perfectly with an even number of stitches. I can see the logic in using an odd number but the stitch pattern would not come out staggered if you did.

I used the cable cast on method. I didn't like it at first but once I got a few rows into the scarf the cast on disappeared anyway. For bind-off I used the plain cast off method, but varied it by following the stitch pattern as I cast the stitches off. Normally I would knit every stitch then cast them off but I didn't like the way that looked. Following the stitch pattern was a little trickier but wasn't impossible and I felt like it looked better.

1 Comments:

At 1:16 AM, Blogger Leisel said...

Thanks so much for the answers! I can't wait 'til I have a chance to make this scarf.

- Leisel

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home