Sittin' Here Knittin' - Old one

Ramblings about Knitting and other important stuff

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Button, Button, Who's got the Button?

When I was a child my mom had a large mason jar full of old buttons. Some she had collected from our old clothing before tossing it in the trash and some she had just acquired over the years. She didn't sew much but I think she had a habit of buying buttons at the sewing shops "just in case". Most likely she and I share the same affliction. They are pretty and we like to look at them.


I picked up all of these lovely buttons at Colorful Yarns, one of the LYS here. They had three large bowls full of vintage buttons. I had quite a few more than just these picked out but decided that I only "needed" the most interesting ones.



This one definitely used to be a button. The back broke off of it but it was too pretty to pass up. Considering that I know most of these buttons will reside for the rest of their lives in a mason jar, I thought it would be ok if it didn't pass for a button any longer.

The picture of this one makes it look copper-y but it really gives more of an oyster shell impression in person. Depending on how the light catches it will make the shade of it change.


I liked this one mostly because of the placement of the holes. I don't ever recall seeing a button with the holes placed on the edge rather than the middle.


This one caught my interest not because of the front...

But because of the backs. They remind me of old time soda pop caps

This one has an interesting knotted look to it.



These make me think of boot buttons. They look very old and like the coverings might even be made from leather. Very neat. You can tell they are quite small because they are all on one safety pin.

This pink one gives off a satin look, though it must just be the way they finished it.





contemporary but still neat.




Very old looking military button. The eagle clutching arrows in one claw and an olive branch in the other. It makes me think of WWII uniforms but I don't know if it's that old.


So there you have my new acquisitions. I've begun the mason jar of my own. I picked buttons I will probably never use but that is not why I found them so intriguing. They each seem to have a story and I can't help but wonder what those stories are when I look at them.

2 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Joanne said...

For my mom, it was a little embroidered wicker basket, a souvenir from Jamaica. Thanks for taking me back in time. I now have my own button collection. I may never use the buttons, but that's not the point!

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! I think I'll start one too! I remember that jar and miss it dearly. Love ya!

Turkey

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home