Sittin' Here Knittin' - Old one

Ramblings about Knitting and other important stuff

Monday, November 07, 2005

Meme from Me

What is your all time favorite yarn to knit with?
Oooh. That’s a tough one. I love Cascade Pima Tencel. I hope its durable though. It “shed” quite a bit in it’s first wash. I had horror filled visions of the whole thing just falling apart. I might like to knit with it but I’d like what I knit to last a while too. I also love Lorna’s Laces Shepard series. It is very nice to work with and wonderful colors. I think my favorite will be my Brooks Farm Primero Yarn if I ever get brave enough to knit with it. It is the softest yarn I’ve ever felt and I adore the colors they use in almost every skein I’ve ever seen. Nothing too busy. You don’t end up with that one random color that leaves you thinking “if only it was these four colors and this last was left off…” But, since we are talking about knitting in the past tense my current all time favorite is Touch Me from GGH. It’s sinfully pleasant to knit with. It is soft and silky, and though I’ve heard many people complain about worming and other horrors I had no problems with it. The finished item is heaven, even though the finishing process is a bit harrowing (more on that tomorrow).

Your favorite needles?
Skacel Natura. I’ve used all sorts of needles and find myself always going back to my bamboo circulars. I have a bunch of different brands of those too but I love the Skacel best. It’s pretty rare I’ll use a metal needle at all (but if I do I love the turbos).

The worst thing you've ever knit?
Again with the tough questions. I think the thing I liked the least when it was finished was my Triada scarf. I had a different vision for how it was going to end up, I didn’t care for the feel of the yarn I used, and the colors were too vibrant. I haven’t frogged it yet but have plans to turn it into something else this winter.


The worst thing I knit as far as how it turned out was Bjerk. I wasn’t paying attention to my gauge and ended up with something way too small. I’m sure I’ll give it another go someday but for now it’s sitting in the stash.


Your most favorite knit pattern? (maybe you don't like wearing it...but it was the most fun to knit)
I really got a kick out of the felted slippers. The pattern is so clever and the slippers are such a big hit with the recipients. It’s easy to get creative with it and works for someone that like something fun and funky just as easily as it does for someone extra conservative.

Most valuable knitting technique?
I have to second Wanda’s choice with this one. Being able to pick up dropped stitches, not fearing a little bit of frogging where it’s necessary, and general after finishing fix-it techniques have kept me from getting so frustrated I quit and have helped me accept that my knitting isn’t perfect but it’s ok because I can fix it later.

Best knit book or magazine?
Best knit book would have to be, Um… I can’t pick just one. I LOVE the Knitters Book of Finishing Techniques. I also Love all the books from Melanie Falick (Weekend Knitting and Handknit Holidays to name a few).
My favorite magazine has to be Interweave Knits. I also love the Rowan magazines. The Rowan ones are just beautiful to look at. I’d love to make many things from each of them but it’s a bit cost prohibitive. Interweave always has such a wide range of projects that there is no doubt I will actually make something from each issue.

Your favorite knitblogs?
I can’t play favorites. I love reading my local grrls blogs and enjoy anyone that can keep me laughing or interested because they are just really good knitters.

Your favorite knitwear designer?
Kim Hargreaves wins here. I consistently find myself looking at something and thinking “Wow, I really like that” only to find out it was designed by her. I also really like Nicky Epstein. I know that Pam Allen doesn’t really fit this category as she is the editor, not necessarily the designer but I love her selections.

The knit item you wear the most? (how about a picture of it!)
I wear my felted clogs the most. But starting tomorrow I think my Vintage Velvet will win out over the clogs.

4 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger Cathi said...

I'm so glad that you answered this- I should have tagged everybody to do it, I love reading everyone's answers.

And I can't wait to see Vintage Velvet!!!!

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Jenifer said...

Can't wait to see a real Touch Me scarf. Some day when I'm rich I'm definitely going to make me one of those. :) And I agree about that stupid Triada ... I'm going to probably frog mine some day as well. What do you think about that hat/scarf combo in Handknit Holidays?? And Skacel Natura ... I have yet to try those!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

Reading everyone's answers is fun. Thanks for playing!

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger CynCyn said...

Tamiflauge makes a great slipper! The Addi Natura circs are a dream to knit with... I love my one and only set. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring the scarf tomorrow.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home