Sittin' Here Knittin' - Old one

Ramblings about Knitting and other important stuff

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Velvet Love

I love velvet. Red velvet cake. Velvet curtains. That velvet rope in museums. Even those velvet paintings that always seem to be of Elvis. But I love my vintage velvet scarf more than anything of those things.

Before I show you the full glory that is now a vintage velvet scarf I must explain the finishing process. I can see now how people can get nervous about finishing their knitting now.

First we have a finished shot (click for a close up). On my monitor at home this photo is very true to the color of the scarf. Lovely deep eggplant.


Then the harrowing part begins. You set your washer to hot...



Put this glorious creation of sweetly soft yarn into a bag...





And.then.you.wash.and.dry.it. Yes. In a machine, not by hand. No delicate cycle for this. We're talking traditional (I guess it would be more modern than traditional) felting.

Now folks, I have felted quite a few bags in my time. I've felted other things too but we won't talk about the pre-knitting days when the "What do you mean I have to hand wash these wool socks?" kinds of things happened.

First off, did you know that rayon can be felted? I didn't. I'm reading these instructions, looking at my synthetic yarn scarf (that is incredibly soft) and wondering what kind of crap this designer is smoking because you don't do that kind of thing to something this nice. You want me to shrink it and then melt it????

This last part is the really scary stuff (skip ahead if you need to). When you take the scarf from the washer it feels like a cross between beef jerky and wet suede.


Thank heaven someone had warned me about this because, folks, this thing felt so bad I would have melted into a pile of tears at the first touch. I've held rodents that are softer.

Next you throw this bad boy in the dryer. Again, very thankfully I was warned first that this part was necessary. Had I not been I would have still been a big mess of tears and snot sitting in front of the dryer. So I trusted my friend was not leading me astray, but that my scarf would turn out as lovely and buttery as her own did. So dryer time was served. Then the last bit was spent under a ceiling fan in the guest room.

Today? Ah. Today she's on. I wore her from about the minute I hit the door last night until the typing of this post...


Ahhh. Ladies, save those nickels and dimes cause this is soooo worth it.

7 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

Love, love, love the velvet. I bet it's so soft! I've heard that once you wash it, it feels like crap, but once you dry it, it myseriously feels soft and buttery. So yummy! Will you wear it to knitting tonight so we can pet it?

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous stacey said...

I can't wait to see it in person! If you come over/drop by anytime on Saturday (for Harry Potter) bring it with you!!!!

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger CynCyn said...

I got to pet the pretty. the pretty is really freaking soft. after awhile, i felt like i was molesting poor michelle. (she let me wear it for a second!!)

i bet you're kinda sorry she's done, b/c you'll miss knitting with the super soft stuff.

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Lissy said...

You've convinced me! I'm going to make it. Thanks for all your warnings. That's why knitting is really better off being a social hobby, so that we can pass things on to each other. Thanks for holding me hand, as it were!

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this great description. I have been wrestling with this scarf and yarn for 2 weeks and you have convinced me to break bad and go for it. By the way, the yarn has about 29% new wool and thus the felting aspect. My friend is a blogger and sent this to me. I don't have a web page.
Frances

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Bookish Wendy said...

I absolutely adore red velvet cake. The scarf looks fab and so do you!

;)

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long did it take for you to felt it? Did you leave it in for the whole cycle, or something like 15 minutes or so?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home