Sittin' Here Knittin' - Old one

Ramblings about Knitting and other important stuff

Friday, December 02, 2005

Breaking the rules

My Dad's birthday is on Christmas eve and we always worried as kids that he never really got to have a real birthday because Christmas really seems to overshadow the whole month, nevermind the week or day before. We celebrated his birthday randomly for a while (it usually ended up being in September) so he got to really have a birthday. We were talking about this one evening and he told me how much that meant to him. It was his first real birthday. I think he was in his mid-30s when we started doing this for him. We've let it slide over the years, especially after we moved away from home. I think I'll have to send him an un-birthday present this coming year.

What prompted this reverie? I was talking to my Dad earlier this week and I ask him what he'd like for Christmas and his birthday. And he says "Aren't you knitting me something?" in that tone of voice that says he'll be awfully disappointed if I'm not. So much for not knitting any Christmas gifts. How can I let my Dad down?

This of course meant I needed to find just the right thing for him. Low-and-behold I'm sitting at the yarn store over my lunch break and I spot this lovely stuff

Rowan kid classic in the color "bear". Seriously yummy stuff. I also saw a neat herringbone stitch the other day so the light above my head went off, smoke started pouring out of my ears and I knew it was meant to be. So. Dad will be getting a lovely scarf for Christmas. Hopefully. I have put all other projects aside to get this one finished in time. Wish me luck!

4 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger Cathi said...

So is the other yarn for the rest of the scarf, or for you? :)

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

I just love Rowan Kid Classic! Isn't that the stuff that you were making a sweater out of the first time I met you? Can't wait to see it in person...you are one busy knitter!

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Brianne said...

Isn't it great that your Dad appreciates your knitting! You're a lucky girl. :D

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Wanda said...

Oh, yes, you must make Dad something for the holidays, which means you have to make something for Mom as well, right? That Bear Kid Classic is a very manly color and your dad will love it!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home