Sittin' Here Knittin' - Old one

Ramblings about Knitting and other important stuff

Friday, December 09, 2005

Pi and P

Daddy's scarf is finished. Yeah!! I think it turned out quite nice. One note though, was that when I went to block it, it decided it wanted to be a skinny scarf instead of a wide one. It blocked out just fine but the weight of the scarf when it was wet pulled in the wrong direction. The yarn is so light when it's dry I'm confident it will stay wide once it's dried out.

I decided a little while ago that I needed to use some of my "felting" stash. And that Tami really needs a kitty pi. So last night, after I cast off and blocked dad's scarf, I started a kitty pi for my sweet kitty. I mean look at her. Doesn't she looks like she just *needs* something like that?


Over the last few days, with the weather being so friggen cold, she's taken to sitting around on a heating pad we leave on the floor for her. I may have to figure out how to put a pocked on the pi to stick the heating pad into in the winter time.

Tami is a pretty funny cat. We let her play outside most of the time. She jumped out of the backyard only once. Unfortunately for her, the yard she jumped into has a medium sized, active dog. The dog didn't hurt her, in fact he wouldn't get very close to her, but it scared her badly enough that she's never left the yard since. She is usually quite active when she's outside, chasing bugs, butterflies, and trying to trick birds into thinking she's a chirping statue. It's nice for us because we know we don't have to worry about her getting lazy and fat with all the prowling and predatorising she does out there.

I now have a dilema due to all this free roaming though. Apparently she got quite used to haveing a giant litterbox outside (we have a 20' x 30' area that is just dirt until I get around to planting some flowers in it) and now that it's cold out she's reduced to using her litterbox. The problem is that she's decided she likes the tree in the front room too. The really odd part of it is that she is using the litterbox AND the tree. At least this shows she's not afraid of her box (I hope). The tree is suffering from the added moisture it's getting, the smell in the front room isn't all that great, and DH isn't handling the whole situation very well. I though about getting some of that spray they sell for furnature but I worry it will hurt the tree too. Anyone have any ideas on how we can get her to stop?

4 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Blogger Cathi said...

Could you try putting something at the base of the tree that would discourage her? I assume that she's getting into the pot and pawing around for a place to go. Would that weird faux grassy stuff- I so can't explain this here, but that stuff that's like teeny tiny flexible branches, they use it in a lot of potted arrangements that you get from florists- work? Or some other synthetic cover that you could put over it? What about draping an old blanket (from the thrift store, even) around the pot and base of the tree? Maybe not pretty, and you could take it down when guests are there, but it might be worth a shot.

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous your ISE secret scarf knitter said...

Put some tin foil around the base of the tree in the pot, cats don't like the sound of it when they walk on it or the feeling of it on their feet.

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger michaele said...

Have you tried a scat mat? I know they make thm round for precisely this purpose. Or at least they used to.

My heart goes out to you. It's no fun when kitties stray from the litter box.

 
At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Bookish Wendy said...

The ideas above worked for us. I sprayed it with the stuff (which won't hurt the plant. however, you shoul be careful not to get on your hands or in your nostrils...you'll taste it and it is VERY bitter), lined the top of the soil with tin foil, and then put spanish moss (what Cathi is trying to name) on top so it didn't look too ghetto. That should totally work.

Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home