Sittin' Here Knittin' - Old one

Ramblings about Knitting and other important stuff

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

LYS Tote

I feel very fortunate to live in an area that has such a variety of LYS. There are three I used to shop at on a regular basis (only "used to" because of the stash-along thing) and at least six I can think of off the top of my head that are close to where I work or live. I personally feel it's a waste to live in an area like this and not take advantage of the variety and selection that each of the different shops has to offer. There are those that disagree and are almost violently loyal to a single shop. Their loss. Anyway...

That being said I also think it's rude to take a project into a store to knit on that is being made with materials that were bought at a competitors store. This is just a personal thing for me, I don't think most of the shop owners really give two hoots since I'm a regular customer anyway. While knitting with someone else's stuff is bad enough, I was thoroughly embarrassed the other day when I was asked to bring in one of my projects because the shop owner wanted to look at it and it was in a competitors store bag. Nobody mentioned it but I'm certain they noticed and I felt embarrassed by it. It's probably silly but that is beside the point.

So, the point for this whole story is that I went fabric shopping yesterday and made a tote to carry around my lunch project so that I won't have to deal with that again. And also because I joined the Tote-along and wanted to sew a new tote anyway.

I bought this book and some fabric and went to town with the sewing machine. I highly recommend this book. I find that if I'm given a pattern I want to follow it since someone (that should know more than me about what I'm doing) took the time to create it. This book is not a step by step kind of book. They provide general instruction for seven basic bag patterns, the examples show variations on the theme and cover what was done differently. It's inspiring to see how easily a bag can be created and how much easier it is to make it unique. It forces you to stretch your thinking instead of just creating a duplicate of someone else's work. Gushed enough? Ok.

The bag pattern I picked was the Tote. I decided to change the handles and the bottom (square instead of oval) and really like how it turned out. Sewing the bottom in was a bear since I had to turn 90 degree corners (I'm sure somebody out there has a hint that would make this easier next time... Someone? Anyone?).



My handles are a bit crooked but I'll figure that out some other time (or it'll become a "signature").


The lining is just some fabric I had in my stash (yes I have a stash of fabric too but it doesn't compare to the yarn - nor will I allow it to get anywhere near that big). The handles were also in my stash from a bag I made quite a while back and somehow ended up with two sets of handles for.

All in all I really like the bag. I may do a bit of tweaking here and there but it's the perfect size for my lunchtime knitting (which right now is my Fair Isle Jazz). With all this sewing going on I didn't manage to cast on for my Philosophers Wool sweater yet but it'll be ok. Maybe I'll get around to that tonight. Happy Knitting!

9 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger CynCyn said...

which store and which project are you talking about?

your tote is SO cute! i love the fabrics you chose. any inside pockets?

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I love your tote bag. I think it turned out great - it doesn't look crooked at all.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Jenifer said...

Me, too, I feel so embarrassed to knit in LYS's using yarn bought elsewhere, I have a major problem with it. Interesting story of yours ... feel like elaborating? (You know me, the gossip-monger.) I have that exact book checked out from the library right now! I think it's *really* cute. They have it at Joann's and I think it's *very* 40%-off-coupon-worthy. I liked the basic designs, and wasn't it interesting how their "variations" played out? As for the 90-degree-angle-thing -- did you keep your needle down in the fabric, and then lift up the foot, as you turned the fabric? I think that's the only trick I know of there. You should ask "spamantha" (Cathi's friend), as she's a seamstress extraordinaire.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger cassidy said...

Michele...you are too damn cute!! I know exactly what you are talking about and yes, yes, yes...you are silly...nobody in their right mind should give two hoots, i certainly don't on either end =) Can't wait to meet up with you again I have casted on my fairisle nonsense..
have a great week
Cassidy =)

 
At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Leisel said...

Well, I can see why you might worry about the competitors' tote, but seriously... I would doubt they even remember whether or not you purchased that yarn in their store (unless they don't carry it, in which case, they probably want to know where THEY can pick some up to play with), let alone take any sort of offense over it. In that case, I'm sure you're worrying needlessly... they're just happy you feel comfortable enough going that you come around again and again and buy their product when it fits your needs.

I apologize for the run-on paragraph... too many nights of too little sleep trying to finish up a birthday gift in time is taking it's tole on my writing skills (however poor they might be to start with).

Oh... and I almost forgot... that tote you made is wonderful! The colors and design on the fabric is so elegant. One of these days, I'll have to try my hand at it, because I can never find just want I want in order to buy it... you have so many more options if you can make it yourself.

 
At 12:37 AM, Anonymous Leisel said...

toll... sheesh. I usually edit myself better, too.

 
At 6:47 AM, Anonymous wendy g said...

Your bag is beautiful! Enjoy using it.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Wanda said...

I really like your tote! The fabric is just beautiful and the handles go well with it. Great job!

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Leslie said...

That tote is divine. And re: your LYS discussion, I would say, most LYSes probably don't care if you hang out and knit on whatever. The longer you spend in a store, the more likely you are to buy. Asking for help, while holding a competitor's yarn, well, that might generate a snipey comment. (A Lion Brand project is sure to put owners into a snit.)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home