Sittin' Here Knittin' - Old one

Ramblings about Knitting and other important stuff

Monday, February 20, 2006

Fourth Time is the Charm

It seems that in my case it's the fourth time that is the charm. It's been a while since I mentioned my Must Have (and just over a year since I started it). Last time I recall talking about it I was a bit upset about the sleeve caps as written by Pattons.

I finally decided last week that enough was enough and I was going to figure out how to make these sleeves fit. I found this wonderful article on Knitty, printed out my knitting graph paper and gave it a whirl.

The original sleeve is on the right and my second attempt on the left. As you can see there isn't a huge difference in the two. Neither of them worked. I figured out my gauge as it worked in the moss stitch but didn't take into account the actual number of stitches I was working with. So I tried again...

Whoa. Definitely a noticeable change this time. I had my doubts though and didn't want to expend the time or energy in seaming this puppy up only to figure out then that what appears to be an obviously too-skinny sleeve cap wasn't going to work.

It's not easy to tell in the photo, but it wasn't going to work out. It was very tight across my shoulder and if I picked up my arm at all I got these great shoulder peaks that would be fine if this were still the 80's.

So for the fourth and final time I tried to get these caps done. Once it occurred to me I had to do a mental head slap. It was so simple a solution. I followed the pattern as written for the first part of the decreases, then worked a straight section (no decreases) until it was as tall as I wanted it and then followed the final decreases. Whoa.

The original is on the left and final version on the right.

And Voila! It worked great. Finally. I even made myself weave in all the ends, sew on the buttons, and finish all seaming before I took pictures. Huuraaaay.


Well worth the wait and energy. I love this sweater.

If anyone out there is stuck with their sleeves I'll post what I did to make it work here. Hope it helps!

20 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

OMG, it's so beautiful! Looks like the Must Have really gave you a workout, but what a beauty. Truly impressive Michelle!

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Agnes said...

Your Must Have is sooooo beautiful! Thank goodness I read your blog ... I am working on this cardi now! Just started actually, 8" into the back. Surely I'd check back when I get to the sleeves. Thanks a lot!

 
At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anne said...

Michelle - this is beautiful. There's so much to love about it - the colour, the pattern, the buttons - and of course the sleeve caps.

Enjoy wearing it.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Chris said...

It's gorgeous!! I am so impressed that you stuck it out through that many sleeve cap iterations - and it was obviously well worth it!

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

That is beautiful!

 
At 7:50 AM, Anonymous michaele said...

I'm glad it worked out - that's a beautiful sweater!

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Stacey said...

Wow! It's gorgeous Michelle! I'm so glad that it all worked out, now you can wear it proudly and breathe a sigh of relief! It looks great!

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Leisel said...

It looks great! I'm so impressed with your dedication in figuring this out... I probably would've thrown up my hands after the second attempt didn't work.

Thanks for the link to the knitty article. I so need to figure out how to understand the armhole (armscye?) shaping, because after my first sweater, I'm pretty sure mine don't work the way standard ones do.

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Leisel said...

Oh, my goodness! I just skimmed further through the knitty article, and IT TELLS YOU HOW TO DESIGN SLEEVES FOR SLEEVELESS KNITS! I've been really wanting to know how to do this, because I've seen so many pretty sleeveless knits, and I don't wear sleeveless. Thank you so, so much!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Cathi said...

Congrats! It looks amazing!

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Jenifer said...

Yay to you -- great sleuthing work there! I'm so impressed. And, I'm so glad you figured it out so that I (when!) I make this some day I can refer to your brilliance. :) Beautiful sweater!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Christina said...

It looks fantastic! It's absoutely perfect for you.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Brianne said...

Amazingly beautiful and I absolutely love the color on you! Perfect. :)

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Sonya said...

Beautiful sweater! Thank you for the sleeve info; I'm about halfway up the sleeves on my Must Have. I like the modification you made with the ribbing too.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Anita said...

Gorgeous!! Very impressive. And here I am complaining about a couple of bobbles ...

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger duchessofgravity said...

wow, i had no idea it was givin gyou that much trouble! great job and it looks gorgeous!

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Marsha said...

Your sweater is FABULOUS, and you look great in it! I look forward to seeing it in person!!

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Terby said...

I love your sweater, it looks amazing on you. Thanks for the details about the sleeves - I have the pattern marinating in my stash, and when I get around to knitting it, your post will be an invaluable reference.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Marji said...

that is gorgeous and you should indeed be proud. Congrats on finishing it.
What pattern is it?

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Looks amazing. So glad it worked out for you.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home