Sittin' Here Knittin' - Old one

Ramblings about Knitting and other important stuff

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Reminiscing on Friday past

Friday was a good day. It all started with yarn (is there a better way to start?)...

A few days back a friend that works upstairs stopped by my desk. His wife knits and he knows that I do as well. He told me that his wife had some yarn she didn't want anymore. He said she had become a "yarn snob" and didn't like this yarn anymore. Now, I admit I'm a bit of a yarn snob myself. I told him this and he assured me it wasn't Red Heart or anything from Michaels. He tells me she went on a trip to someplace, like a factory, and bought all this stuff. I'm having this whole internal dialogue as he's talking.

Hope: Could he really be talking about Brown Sheep? That's near here and would be a factory to visit...
Realism: No. Couldn't be. Nobody dislikes Brown Sheep.
Hope: Oh well. What can it hurt. It's not Red Heart.

So I tell him I'd be happy to take it off his hands. I know other people that collect yarn for schools and such so if I couldn't use it I could get it to people that could. So imagine my complete.and.total.very.happy.surprise Friday morning when I find a grocery bag FULL of yarn on my chair. And it was full of... Brown Sheep. Sorry schools and little kids. I'll find something else for you. I'm keeping this!

Any more yarn snobs out there? I'll take this "junk" off your hands!!! I couldn't be more thrilled that she decided she didn't like this anymore. Gets my wheels turning. Especially when I consider this...

Friday also ended with yarn. Our regular knitting group moved on over the our Sheepy friends home to get going on the Knitting Olympics. While I'm not participating in the Olympics myself I thought it was a great opportunity to cast on for something new. Who am I to walk past an opportunity like that. So River has begun. Right now I think it only qualifies as a creek though...

Here's my lovely lacey poo (that I know will look better once finished and blocked). It's a beautiful wrap from the Winter 2005 Rowan and is an incredibly simple pattern.

There may be some out there that wonder if, since I just received such a lovely gift of yarn, will I refrain from buying yarn today (the exception day for the stash-along). I'd keep you suspense but Realism keeps yelling in my ear. Yeah Right. I'll show you what I get tomorrow. Have a great day!

11 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like even though you've been on this no-buying-yarn goal that you've somehow gotten even more yarn. Hummm . . . some call it cheating, I call it lucky. Love ya! Jenny

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

Umm, yeah, how lucky are you?! That's awesome though. Can't kick a gift horse bearing yarn in the mouth, now can you? Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride and Cotton Fleece, yarn you don't want? I guess, but that made it lucky, lucky for you. Sometimes too people's tastes change and perhaps what she bought it for, she changed her mind and just wants it gone. I know what's like even though the yarn is fine. Maybe she just fell out of love with it.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Cathi said...

Have you seen the new Pursenalities in person? I saw it at the Creative Festival, and I think it's pretty great. Can't wait to see what you plan on making with it!

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Ginger said...

Wow, luck you!

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous michaele said...

I aspire to being the kind of yarn snob who thinks Brown Sheep is beneath her. Just imagine what I'd be knitting with!!! :) Your co-worker's wife is lucky she can feed that habit!

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger shadowlands said...

Oooh! I just love Brown Sheep - I can't imagine not wanting it. So glad for you . . . so jealous!

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Wow, you scored big!

I so didn't resist our exception day... Curious to know if you managed to!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger duchessofgravity said...

brown sheep? junk? does she have any semi precious stone lying around she doesn't want??? wierd! enjoy :)

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Jessica said...

Wow! What good luck. Any idea what you're going to make with it all?

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger CynCyn said...

snicker. nuff said.

but hell, i'm jealous of your yarn karma.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Jenifer said...

Wow, nice haul! :) Her loss ... makes you wonder what she has to buy now that that is beneath her. Have fun with it!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home