Sittin' Here Knittin' - Old one

Ramblings about Knitting and other important stuff

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Circle of Trust

I don't remember where I read this or I'd send you over there but for all folks wanting to make that gorgeous Sunrise Circle jacket in the latest Interweave Knits, the designer recommends a heavier weight of yarn (Aran or heavy worsted) even though the gauge would lead you to believe that a DK weight would work. The reason for this was that you want the fabric to be stiff so that it will hold it's shape. If you use a lighter yarn you'll end up with a floppy front edge and won't get the same effect.

Thankfully I saw this note before I saw that Jimmy Beans Wool had some lovely silk/wool blend yarn on sale. Hooray for sales. I bought a bag that is a beautiful tweedy teal.

Good ol' Jimmy also had some Katia Jamaica on sale and I've been coveting that boatneck t-shirt Wendy made last year since I saw hers so I got some of that as well. It's quite a bit brighter than I thought it would be but I'll give it a shot. If I hate it I'll have to figure out how to overdye it it or wash it out. I like playing with that stuff anyway.

8 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh, that blue will be nice for the jacket. That last is some bright, bright yarn. Pushing the color envelope! Good for us! Sort of traumatic!

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger CynCyn said...

love the color of the takhi tweed... the jamaica's a bit bright, what are u thinking about overdying it with? you'll be happy to hear that we got some yarn for the sunrise jacket after all.

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous michaele said...

I love the colors of the jamaica yarn. i could understand them being maybe a bit too bright to wear, but very pretty!

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk about a good sale - www.customyarns.com has Buy 1, Get 1 50% Off!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Jenifer said...

Oh, nice! And I'm sure you saw the sunrise circle jacket along. I went into it one ball, but ripped, as I sort of messed up, and kate recommends starting with the sleeves anyways. Have fun! Maybe I'll do it!

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Stacey said...

I can't wait until my yarn comes in the mail for the Circle jacket! I got my yarn on sale at Webs...two 1 pound cones for 20 bucks! I hope it works!

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Calling Kahlo said...

I love the circle jacket. I have to start making clothes, but I saved it for after my first sweater. I can't wait to see the progress!

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Glaistig said...

Thanks for the heads up about the best weight for the Sunrise Jacket. Isn't Jimmy Beans the best? I get a warm spun and plied feeling thinking about that store. . . .

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home