Sittin' Here Knittin' - Old one

Ramblings about Knitting and other important stuff

Monday, April 17, 2006

Not a new craft

I love it that knitting is not a new craft. While I was down south I got to spend some time with DH grandmother. It's a thrill to me to be able to spend time with any grandparents as I have none left (I was 17 when my last grandparent left this world). DH grandmother, a.k.a. GMH for Grand Ma H *isn't that cute*, was sweet enough to bring me some old patterns that belonged to a friend of hers. She knew I love to knit and her friend can no longer knit and wanted someone that would enjoy them to have them.

Many of the patterns are crochet but there were some really cute pattern, particularly in the book below.

I love the jacket on this page, though all the poses the models in the book use really make me laugh. I think one of my favorite things about vintage patterns is it really brings into focus the differences in the time. Models from this timeframe always make me think of classy women and generic barbie dolls (I know, it's a very weird combination).

And both of these sweaters are cute. I would even make the orange one (though I doubt I'd use orange to do it).

Don't get me wrong, not everything was cute. Some was downright funny. I was double dared me to make this argyle for DH but it would ever happen. Have you ever heard Franklin's essay on Knitting for Love? I think I'd reserve this baby for something to knit dislike into.

6 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

If you ever make one of those sweaters...you know we are going to have a fun little "photo shoot" of you posing like some of those pictures!! Ha!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Agnes said...

But you can still find similar downright funny stuff in some current magazines! Now that's what's funny!
I like vintage patterns too ... those models were really elegant ... maybe it was the way they held themselves.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger CynCyn said...

i really like the blue one for you... would u use a mohair yarn? i wonder how it would look in BFY primero?

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I love those vintage pattern books, too! The poses and expressions are exquisite - Stepford Wives, anyone?? :D

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Calling Kahlo said...

I haven't looked into the vintage patterns, but I agree with Cyn-the blue is very clean lines and elegant.

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Wanda said...

Some of those patterns are so cute, some of course are kinda scary. Like the stuff we have today, but I am always drawn to the more classic lines of fashion than super-trendy. That was so sweet of Dh's grandma to think of you for those patterns.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home